My name is Mira – that’s pronounced Mee-ra – not My-ra or Mirra with a “rolled r” or whatever other variation of my name you can come up with. Don’t ask me what my name means. I am of Egyptian descent, born and raised in Southern California. When I asked my parents why they named me Mira, they simply said (in their heavy Egyptian accents), “I wanted a name zat would be easy for both za Egyptians and za Americans to pronounce.” Unfortunately, my name is still butchered on a daily basis, but props to my parents for the good intentions.
I’ve always had a passion for music, but specifically a passion for finding random songs that move me in some way. I was that kid (and am still that adult) that never cared too much for an artist’s hit single, but instead would be absolutely obsessed with random track #7 or an underground/unreleased/mixtape-only track that the mainstream public may not be familiar with. The euphoria I experience when I find that perfect song is a feeling that I have never been able to replace with anything else.
After decades of putting together mix CD’s for friends in high school, creating random blogs with my music choices, posting a track here or there on my Facebook page, and frantically texting my friends when I’d found my newest obsession, I thought why not just put it all in one place and see if there’s anyone else out there that can appreciate the music that I love so much.
This blog is separated into 3 categories: Listen, Learn and Life.
Listen: Music that moves me, hence why I call them my “choices”.
Learn: I love to constantly learn and read articles and books about all kinds of random topics, such as business/entrepreneurship, personal development, etc . Here is where I’ll share the ones I love most as well as some of my own.
Life: A glimpse into my daily life – family, friends, food, adventures, quotes, funny articles and anything else I feel like posting, because I can 🙂
A little about me:
- Tupac or Biggie? Much respect to Tupac, but Biggie all day.
- Give me coffee to change the things I can, and wine to accept the things I can’t.
- Tequila takes me to my happy place.
- Needy people bother me.
- I’m 5 feet tall. 5 feet even. I can’t remember a day in my life where I haven’t heard at least 1 short joke.
- I am a Leo. Watch out now.
- My perfect day is laying by the beach or pool and doing absolutely nothing.
- I can be in a full-on, completely engaged conversation with you, but the moment I hear a song playing in the background that I haven’t heard before, my attention will be completely diverted to finding out what song it is. Sorry, I can’t help it. Thank you to my family & friends for understanding this sometimes annoying tendency of mine.
- My life is run by Spotify. Hence, you will find Spotify links and Spotify playlists all over this blog. It has completely changed the way I discover and listen to music, and although I know there are a lot of great streaming platforms out there, Spotify landed this girl first and I’m a loyalist.
- In another life, I truly believe I was a New Yorker.
- Favorite place to travel to is Egypt (I’m biased, what can I say)
- I have always had more male friends than female friends, for whatever reason. However, I believe that no man is a match for the power of woman.
- The little things are what make me happy. A beautiful sunny day, good music, good food, good conversation, people watching, laughing…
- I own a financial services firm and am completely obsessed with people understanding the importance of saving/investing money and proper financial planning.
- Most important thing to me in life is family – nothing comes before that.